Sunday, February 27, 2011

Eye of Newt

Grocery shopping is one of those tasks that I don't really enjoy. I find it tends to make me frustrated looking at the great variety of 'food' products as well as walking past chemicals that we need to keep our families safe from all of those nasty bacteria. The words of Michael Pollan and his rule number 12 comes into my mind - "Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle".

I took a walk through the aisles recently just to see what I was missing. Our supply of flour was running low so I knew we needed a top up. Sitting right a kiddy eye level was a packet of Harry Potter pancake mix. I'm a little unsure as to how this is any different to normal pancake mix. Perhaps there is some eye of newt involved somewhere? I perused the ingredient list and was amazed at what was in there. How can such a simple product involve so many strange ingredients?

We follow the Jamie Oliver 1 cup recipe. It is easy, cheap and tastes fabulous.


I love the bubbles.


The age old debate about the best pancake topping still rages in our house on a Sunday morning. The kiddie stick together with maple syrup while the grownups unite with lemon juice and sugar.

What is your favourite topping?

Take care and I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Now back in the day, it was bacon, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla icecream... However I haven't seen one of those pancake toppings for about a decade. Now I'm just happy if I get one plain pancake as The Monkeys seem to snuffle them pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an amazing combination.
    We tend to double the mixture to make sure everyone is happy. It is great my kiddoes are old enough to make them now. That way I get served first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancakes are a Saturday morning ritual in The Four Little Finchs household. For my two little pumpkins it honey and nothing but honey. I prefer a sprinkle of sugar with a good squeeze of lemon juice. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee, It is getting a bit scary that my mum and dad's lemon tree is starting to look a little bare. I hope I don't need to resort to buying lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite topping is plain yoghurt, chopped fruit - fresh or canned, a sprinkling of walnuts, and a drizzle of honey

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...