Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bircher

A few months ago we went to a great farmer's market where we sampled some bircher for the very first time. I had tried different types of toasted muesli over the years, but never something like this. The sample was soaked in fruit juice and then had some yoghurt added. Oh, that creamy yoghurt.

After buying this for a few weeks I realised that the ingredients were very simple and that this is something I could be making myself.

Each time I make a batch, different fruits are added. It all really depends on what is in the cupboard. This weekend's mix had sultanas, dried apricots, dried dates, dried figs, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and some crushed almonds. Most of the ingredients were organic and sulphite free.


These ingredients are mixed to make sure none of the fruit clumps together.


Rolled oats are added to the fruit and nuts to the consistency you like.


We store this in a glass jar until we are ready to prepare it for breakfast. This is done the night before when enough for two is poured into the bowl. This is then covered in fruit juice and put in the fridge. In the morning a good dollop of yoghurt is added and stirred through.

This would have to be one of our favourite adult breakfasts. Between this and granola, we steer clear of store bought muesli. Weetbix are still a hit amongst the smaller people in the house so I figure that this makes more bircher and granola for me.

Don't forget about the little giveaway that is open until Sunday.

Take care

4 comments:

  1. A timely reminder for me to try this as well. I always get bircher muesli when we are out for breakfast, but haven't tried to make it myself. Looks great - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is super easy to make and tastes fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, that's a nice reminder that I had a bircher muesli post somewhere too, disappeared into the land of 'draft'...
    I adore this for breakfast or lunch. It's healthy and you can cater it to your taste buds or whats in the pantry. Deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cityhippyfarmgirl, it certainly is great stuff. I am looking forward to reading your blog post on it. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...