Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Bells are Ringing

And not Christmas bells. This time it is wedding bells.

I am off to a very special family wedding.

I was honoured to be asked to do some baking for this happy occasion. My job is to make gingerbread biscuits that can double as place cards. As it is only a small affair, I have jumped at the chance to add my own bit of homemade goodness to the day. (Some Greek friends of mine, who are getting married next year, have over one thousand guests coming to their wedding.)


Over the past few months we have been taste testing various gingerbread recipes and have finally settled on one. Today I managed one last test before the proper baking tomorrow. As there are 17 guests, only two batches will need to be made. The vital learning point from today's run-through was to not get distracted as the biscuits seem to lose their charm when they get a little too crunchy around the edges. I think I will be needing to lock the kitchen door in the morning to keep everyone out.


So tomorrow afternoon we are off to Ireland for a week, celebrating with family we haven't hugged in five months.

See you just before Christmas.

Take care

PS Sorry about the photos. With the sun setting just before 4pm and the low light globes,everything looks a little orange.

6 comments:

  1. They look lovely! Will the gingerbread lady be wearing white and the gentleman a bow tie? What a clever idea to use them as place indicators.
    Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely thing to do for the wedding.
    Happy travels and I hope the wedding is lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a gorgeous wedding! Have a wonderful time and good luck with the baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, they do look delicious! Hope we get to see the final decorated ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspired me! I made gingerbread name places for the Christmas table and they were so much fun. Thank you! I hope yours were as well received as mine. Happy New Year BM and I look forward to sharing in a year of adventures. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swissgal, all of the people were given faces and then the boys were given buttons and the girls were given dresses. I am a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't take any photos of the final products.

    CHFG, the wedding was wonderful. Small and intimate. I think I cried just about the whole way through.

    Fig Jam and Lime Cordial, I can't belie e that in all of the excitement I forgot to take a photo. They tasted great.

    Joy, I hope YOU remembered to take some photos. I would love to see them. Did you use the same recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...