Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Recess TIme

When I first moved out of home, my sister bought me a gift that has followed me just about each time we have moved.


This C.W.A. cookbook has been a great source of information and entertainment over the years. It is filled with great basic recipes and handy hints that I’m sure have been handed down from one rural housewife to another over a cup of tea and a scone.

The front section of the book is all about catering and this is where the fun begins. Being brought up in the city, my sister and I always thought this was fabulous. There are several catering scenarios including Catering for a Public Stock Sale, Pea Soup for 120 people and Curry for 50 people. It is amazing how often tongue is used as an ingredient. I love also in the Wedding Breakfast for 100 Guest that they suggest 4 gobblers, but you must remember that 1 gobbler equals 4 fowls.

There have been so many editions of this book and recipes are added and deleted. This version has the most wonderful Banana Cake recipe that I have used many time, so many in fact that the book just about falls open at that page. With school starting tomorrow I felt the need to bring the book out again and get baking.


Banana Cake adapted from C.W.A. cookbook (42nd edition)

125 butter
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
3 medium bananas
1½ cups self raising flour
½ teaspoon bi-carb
¼ cup milk (I used yoghurt)

Cream butter and sugar
Add eggs one at a time.
Add mashed bananas.
Fold in flour, bi-carb and milk a bit at a time.
Pour into loaf tin and cook in a moderate over for about half an hour. (Mine always takes longer)

It’s time to track down the last of the school requirements. There is no way I am buying another recorder. I know there is one around here somewhere..

What are you putting in lunch-boxes this week?

Take care

6 comments:

  1. Haha bloody recorders I hid one the twins had in a cupboard and found it 2 yrs later magic...ready for Little Bit to use. Will try that recipe...love the old cookbooks like that. My kida all opted for peeled baby carrots in their lunch boxes, apples, homemade cookie, and tuna wraps, will no returns = happy Mum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is that schools insist on teaching the recorder?
      It is a great recipe. We love it. Your lunch-boxes sound great. I also have some dough proving to make some rolls. At least the weather is good for proving at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I have and Edmonds Cookbook (a NZ version of the CWA) and it too has that great recipe in it. We don't have childrent yet but piklets have been the flavour of the month round here lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have an Edmonds Cookbook. We lived in NZ for a while and it was something I insisted on bringing back with us. (Mmmmm, Ginger Crunch). Pikelets are great. We love them here too, especially for afternoon tea.

      Delete
  3. I hated the recorder! I used to put band aids on my fingers so I couldn't play and would be excused from class.

    I received the latest CWA cookbook for Christmas last year. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your recorder idea. If only I had thought of it. It could have saved many a squeaky practise.

      Do the new ones still have the catering section? There are some wonderful recipes in these.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...