Monday, January 2, 2012

A Sense of Community for 2012

This month marks a year since I started blogging.

It has been such a wonderful experience learning and sharing with so many wonderful people. For a long time I had been a bit of a lurker, watching from the sidelines, but thought it was time that I should get involved. What a great decision it has been. It has been so much fun to share things that have worked for me in my attempt to live a little greener, but the advise and inspiration from others encourages me to try new things. There is an amazing group of like-minded people out there wanting to connect with others; wanting to be part of community. It is such a thrill to be part of it.

With 2012 now here, and our Berlin journey very quickly coming to an end, I have been thinking about the year ahead. Returning to one of the most isolated capital cities in the world really makes me think about how important community is to me. The need to support and be supported by local groups is something I will certainly be making more of an effort to do this this year.

Just before the end of a year, I usually have a look to see what the upcoming International Year will be. This one got me quite excited at the possibilities. The International Year of the Co-operatives seems like it could be a great way to bring the idea of supporting the local community to the attention of many people. I suppose one of my concerns is that people who are already trying to follow this ideal will be the ones to find out about it, but the information will not reach the unintentional supporters of multi-national corporations.


There is some great information about what is happening in Australia and internationally, as well as inspiring stories from communities all over the world.

I think it is all about planting a little seed to get people thinking.

Take care

6 comments:

  1. It's so weird that you posted about this. I was just thinking about a fruit and vegie coop. My sister in law is in one down in Freo and every 6 weeks it's her turn to go buy the produce and deliver it. I would love to be involved in something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J, it is such a good idea. It would such a great way to connect to other people too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a great concept for 'community' lets hope the word gets out there, thanks for the link will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't realised it was year of co-operatives. Thats oerfect given that i'm skipping supermarkets and shopping malls this year. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia, no problem. I look forward to reading about how you keep cutting out that middle man.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...