Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Simple Summer Skirt

My summer wardrobe is looking a little bare and the idea of going and looking for a new addition sends shivers down my spine. I am a pretty plain dresser. I'm not into flouncy, super-girly dresses and skirts, and searching shops for basic clothes can be quite exhausting.

With a perfectly good sewing machine sitting idle in the back room and a stack of fabric waiting to be taken out of the storage boxes, a homemade skirt was looking like the easiest (and cheapest) option.

There are some great simple skirt patterns out there. It isn't too difficult a task but sometimes I just need a little direction on how to sew a particular seam or how to measure the amount of fabric needed.

Pennycones and Adith's Amma Sews were great inspiration and both got me quite excited about having a skirt ready to wear to morning tea tomorrow.

I decided to go with an elastic waist for a few reasons; my sewing skills are quite basic, I wanted this to be a fairly quick project and I didn't have a pattern. I'm not usually a big fan of elastic waisted skirts as I usually associate it with being about 3 years old. Also, elastic is way too forgiving around the girth.


Anyhoo...

this is what I did.

I measured around my waist and doubled it. This became the longer side of the rectangle that would make up the skirt. I wanted the length to be a out 60cm so I made the rectangle 65cm wide, allowing for seams at the top and bottom. Cut to length and sew the two shorter end together with the right sides facing. I hemmed the bottom and then attached elastic at the top using a variation of this method. I could have just made a sleeve to slide the elastic through and it would have worked just the same.

All in all, the whole thing took just over half an hour and was very satisfying. I am sure there will be more of these on the way.

Take care

8 comments:

  1. Lovely summery material! Have just started dabbling in sewing and cut off a dress and made it into a skirt yesterday...elastic waist all the way :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was given the fabric a few years ago and have been waiting for inspiration to hit.
      That's a great idea, converting a dress into a skirt. It is so much fun making little alterations to clothes. Have fun with it all.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeh, I'm addicted to sewing at the moment, Have not got myself into fashion yet but when I do, I'll have this on my list. I love the fabric, you've done a great job. It'll feel lovely to wear it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through phases of sewing bits and pieces. I wish I had been more into it when the kiddoes were younger. I'm sure I could have made outfits for them like my Mum did for me. I still have some of her patterns too.
      I love the fabric too and have had a few comments about the skirt. I get such a thrill wearing something I've made.

      Delete
  3. I love the fabric. It's very summer. It's such a thrill to wear something you've made an be complimented on it, isn't it?! Yay to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just love wearing it. It makes me feel all girly!

      Delete
  4. I will make one as soon as I finish my huge sorting out of my craft/office. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what you make. Happy sewing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...