Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Birthday Sponge Cake

A sponge cake always makes me think of the Australian movie, The Castle, as do rissoles. "What do you call it, love?"

I invited my bestie and her kiddoes over for cake and kiddy champange (non-alcoholic)  with strawberries yesterday. Being after school I didn't want to make a cake that was too heavy and left kiddoes not wanting dinner.

Following Hugh's Victoria Sponge and Curtis Stone's icing recipe I had a birthday cake ready for when the birthday girl walked through the door.


Simple ingredients, home laid eggs and a topping of fresh fruit makes a pretty good cake in my opinion.

What do you put on a sponge cake?

Take care

PS There are a few more photos over at Instagram.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! At his request, I made my FIL a sponge cake for his birthday last year (or maybe it was the year before). Strawberries, cream and chocolate shavings...delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fab. I had toyed with the idea of chocolate but realised we didn't have any and a trip to the supermarket was out of the question. I love how light and fluffy these cakes can be.

      Delete
  2. It was delicious! You make a lovely light sponge darl! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...