Sunday, September 15, 2013

Becoming Bike-Friendly

My local shopping centre isn't one of those large department store/chain store hubs where everyone in a 10 kilometre radius spends hours wandering aimlessly looking at stuff they really don't need. It consists of an IGA and half a dozen or so small independent (mainly family run) businesses. Only the locals would know it exists as it isn't on any main roads. It always surprised me that the carparks were full when most of the customers probably live within a kilometre or two.

I mentioned to one of the store-owners about a year ago that I was amazed there were no bike racks. His main argument was that you weren't supposed to bring bikes into the centre. I figured that you weren't supposed to bring cars into the centre either but there was still somewhere to park.

Imagine my excitement at walking around the corner and seeing new bike racks.


No more locking my bike to the main gates or one of the lamp poles.

Is your local centre walkable or ridable? Is you local centre bike friendly?

Take care

5 comments:

  1. Yes! ....and I really need to make the effort to get out on my bike more often. I've now been inspired by all those bike loving nations in Europe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that's just the inspiration needed to get out there. I think being in Europe made me realise how reliant we are on cars over here. X

      Delete
  2. good on you for putting it out there, sometimes it just takes one! happy riding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy about the racks. A smile spreads across my face every time I see them. : )

      Delete
  3. Great.... though I haven't ridden a bike since before I had kids. I'm too chicken to ride with one of them on the back (have come off the bike a few times) and I usually have two of them with me anyway. I do look forward to a time when I can ride with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...